Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- Pot or Rice Cooker
- Large Skillet
- 9x13 Casserole Dish
- 6 Bell Peppers (assorted colors, roughly same size, make sure they can stand on their base.)
- 16 oz. Tempeh Crumbled (2 8oz. packages)
- 1 Medium White Onion Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 cup Zucchini Chopped (about 1 large zucchini)
- 1 cup Mushrooms Diced
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water
- 1½ cups Cooked Wild Rice (about ¾ cup dry wild rice)
- 2 tsp. Basil
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Parsley
- ½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste)
- 15 oz. Tomato Sauce (1 can)
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
- 2 cups Shredded Vegan Mozzarella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using dry rice, cook according to desired method.
- While rice is cooking, lightly grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with olive oil.
- Slice off the tops (stems) of the bell peppers and remove the seeds and ribs inside. (They should look like little cups).
- Place the peppers in the casserole dish cut side down. Pour 1 ½ cups water into the dish around the peppers. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes. This will soften the peppers somewhat, making them more tender.
- When rice is finished cooking, set aside.
- In a large skillet sauté water, onion, garlic and crumbled tempeh for 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, zucchini, mushrooms, oregano, basil, parsley, and red pepper flakes and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add tomato sauce and cook for 2 more minutes. Mix in COOKED rice. Remove from heat.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and drain off the excess water, carefully. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, flip them over in the casserole dish.
- Fill each pepper with the filling mixture and 1 ½ cups of shredded vegan mozzarella. (I like to layer it- filling, cheese, filling, cheese, filling.) If you have extra filling, fill the bottom of the casserole dish between the peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Pull out oven rack and evenly sprinkle the tops of the filled peppers with shredded vegan mozzarella and bake for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.